Family Gone Green

Our Journey Detoxing Our Home and Lives.

   Feb 07

Be Aware! That Pine Clean Smell Is Toxic!

Did you ever think that the products you are using to clean your home are worse than the germs and dirt you are trying to rid surfaces of?   If you haven’t, I urge you to check what you’re using, some of the most toxic chemicals are in the cleaners lining our store shelves.  Are the name Lysol, Clorox, Scrubbing Bubbles, Pine Sol and Comet familiar to you?  Are those cleaners under your kitchen sink or in your cleaning supply stash?  Do you use these products regularly to clean and disinfect your home, feeling you are protecting your family?  If you said yes as you read the previous few sentences, what I am about to tell you will be shocking.  Those products mentioned above and many more just like them are full of toxins exposing your family to chemicals that are known carcinogens and have been linked to allergies, birth defects, cancer, asthma attacks, and psychological abnormalities.  In fact, a New York Poison Control Center study found that 85 % of product warning labels are inadequate.

The warnings on the cleaning product labels only apply to a product’s immediate health effects; they don’t tell you anything about the long term health effects of using these products.  Check your cleaning supplies, do you see any of the following ingredients on you products:

  • Chlorinated phenols found in toilet bowl cleaners are toxic to respiratory and circulatory systems.
  • Diethylene glycol found in window cleaners depresses the nervous system.
  • Phenols found in disinfectants are toxic to respiratory and circulatory systems.
  • Nonylphenol ethoxylate, a common surfactant (detergent) found in laundry detergents and all-purpose cleaners, is banned in Europe; it has been shown to biodegrade slowly into even more toxic compounds.
  • Formaldehyde found in spray and wick deodorizers is a respiratory irritant and suspected carcinogen.
  • Petroleum solvents in floor cleaners damage mucous membranes.
  • Perchloroethylene, a spot remover, causes liver and kidney damage.
  • Butyl cellosolve, common in all-purpose, window and other types of cleaners, damages bone marrow, the nervous system, kidneys and the liver.

Those are just some of the toxic chemicals and there are many more, but the point is they are making your home toxic, the air quality is toxic, the surfaces, clothing and bedding that have been treated or washed with these toxins are toxic to the people or animals touching, wearing or sleeping on them.  The air quality is extremely toxic especially in Winter when windows and doors are sealed up tight.

So what do you do?  Do you learn to live among the germs, clean with water or just take your chances?  Did you know there are safe alternatives that will kill the germs, remove the grime, disinfect and contain no harsh or toxic chemicals?  How about toilet bowl cleaners and disinfectants that don’t need safety caps, or phosphate free automatic dishwasher detergent that really works, pesticides that work without poisons?  There are safe alternatives that really work and if you are thinking that you can’t afford safer, healthier, options because you think the’re more expensive, think again.  What would you say if I told you that you would spend less, your family would be healthier and that you will save even more money because you will go to the doctor less?  Would you like a healthier home, healthy air quality and to experience relief from allergies, asthma, skin rashes, eczema, dermatitis and more?  I  think I know the answer.

If you would like more information please fill out our contact form and we will let you know about the safer, more cost effective options out there.  We can’t wait to tell you all about it and it will have your whole family breathing easier.

You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. Both comments and pings are currently closed.